Mineral Springs athlete set to try out for Olypmics | Community Spirit
A former Mineral Springs athlete is in training for this year's Olympics.
David Johnson, a 1999 graduate of Mineral Springs High School, hopes to try out for the US team in the 400 meter run. Johnson was ranked among the top twenty-five 400 meter runners in the country in 2008 when a hamstring injury prevented his taking part in the Olympic trials.
Johnson, who now lives in Dallas, was back in the southwest Arkansas area recently visiting relatives and used the Mineral Springs stadium for practicing. His workout included running without shoes on the all-weather turf football field, installed last year. When at home, Johnson practices on the old SMU.
Johnson's wife, Koia, is also a graduate of Mineral Springs. The couple has one child, seven month old Jeremiah David Johnson.
Copyright 2012 KSLA. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Southwest Arkansas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day coming to Safety Town
- Caddo Sheriff’s Office to accept bids on two horses
- Caddo Sheriff's Office raising money for Salvation Army's Angel Tree
- Caddo Sheriff's Office hosting "Don't Let This Be You" program
- Registration underway for 'You Can Have What You Say" Conference