Hope Police holding fundraiser to help family of fallen officer | Community Spirit
The Hope Police Department has planned a benefit fundraiser and auction to help the family of a fellow officer who recently died after contracting the West Nile Virus.
Sgt. D.J. Johnson died on September 15 from the virus. Back in 2010, Johnson was suffering from kidney failure. His friend and fellow officer, Daniel Oller, donated one of his kidneys and helped Johnson return to work. Unfortunately, the transplant lowered his immune system, and he was unable to fight off the virus.
The fundraiser runs from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Thursday, October 11 at the Hope Police Department. The hamburger lunch is $5 per plate, and lunch deliveries will be made between 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. The auction begins at 12:15 p.m.
Many items will be up for auction, including a Mission Eliminator Bow, a Craftsman 154-piece tool set, a Timberwolf hunting knife and Arkansas Razorback items.
The money from the fundraiser will go to Johnson's family to help them with medical bills. For more information, call 722-2556.
Upcoming Events near Southwest Arkansas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day coming to Safety Town
- Caddo Sheriff’s Office to accept bids on two horses
- Caddo Sheriff's Office raising money for Salvation Army's Angel Tree
- Caddo Sheriff's Office hosting "Don't Let This Be You" program
- Registration underway for 'You Can Have What You Say" Conference