Trial date set in AR for teen accused in SAU horse thefts | News
COLUMBIA COUNTY, AR (KSLA)- A former Southern Arkansas University freshman facing felony charges for her alleged role in the theft of and cruelty to five horses from the SAU rodeo team stables waived her right to arraignment in a Columbia County District Court Thursday. That cleared the way for a trial date to be set for July 26th or 27th.
Jaci Rae Jackson, 19, is facing six felony counts of theft of property in Columbia County, where prosecutors plan to prove that she was an accomplice in the thefts. "Not that she actually physically took the horses," says prosecuting attorney David Butler, but that she "aided and abetted, and was the mastermind behind the scenes."
Jackson did not have much to say in court, but her family did. "Your facebook page has made death threats against me and my child," says Wendi Cox, Jackson's mother. "That is what ya'll want is someone to kill my child, but she is innocent just wait and see."
Jackson also faces felony charges in Oklahoma: Three counts of bringing stolen property across state lines and animal cruelty.
McCurtain County DA Mark Matloff has said he will not be offering a plea deal in that case. A preliminary hearing is set for March 13th.
Jackson was arrested back on Dec. 5th in connection to the theft of five horses from the university's rodeo team stables in early November. Four of the five horses were found malnourished, but alive in late November. The 5th horse, 'Credit Card' was found dead in early December.
The horse had been reportedly shot, had it's throat slit and mutilated.
Two additional arrests were made in the case.
- Reality and heartbreak: Credit Card's owner speaks
- DA: No deal for Jaci Rae Jackson
- Person of interest wanted in SAU horse theft and cruelty case
- Online auction nears goal for SAU scholarship fund
- Jaci Jackson's mother arrested, both charged with arson
- FOLLOW UP: First look at where missing SAU horses were found
- UPDATE: Suspect in SAU stolen horses case waives extradition
- More arrests made related to SAU stolen horse case
- Jackson posts bail in SAU horse theft case
- 4 of 5 horses stolen from SAU recovered
- Motive behind SAU horse theft investigated
- Memorial held for stolen SAU horse
- Auction added to SAU scholarship fund
Copyright 2012 KSLA. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Southwest Arkansas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day coming to Safety Town
- Caddo Sheriff’s Office to accept bids on two horses
- Caddo Sheriff's Office raising money for Salvation Army's Angel Tree
- Caddo Sheriff's Office hosting "Don't Let This Be You" program
- Registration underway for 'You Can Have What You Say" Conference